- Have a question that isn't on here? Here's a few ways you can get it answered:
- ◄What is a pannier?
- A pannier is bag that connects to a rack on your bicycle, keeping the weight of your stuff off of your back while you ride. They are very common for bike touring and commuters alike.
- ◄How do you say pannier?
- We get this one a lot! How do you pronounce pannier? Here at the shop, most of us say "pan-yeer" or "pan-eer" (cheesy, we know), but we'll also throw out a "pan-yey" here and there. Officially, most American speakers will say "pan-yr". We'll also be able to help if you ask for "one of those bags that attaches to my rack"!
- ◄Is it safe to ride with just one pannier? Is it stable?
- Yes! You'd be surprised at how quickly your body will adjust to the offset weight. For longer rides and tours, we recommend distributing your load between two bags, but for quick trips (like for a commute), one bag is all you need.
- ◄Where can I see your bags in person?
- If you live in or are traveling through Portland, OR, you can stop in our factory showroom and meet us! Check out our Dealers page for a list of shops around the U.S. that carry our bags. We suggest giving a call before heading over to make sure they have the bag you're looking for in stock!
- ◄Can you customize my bag/Can you build me a custom design?
- Our customization is limited to the color and fabric options on our custom builder pages. Rather than taking on custom patterning or design modification projects, we focus our expertise and time on bringing our standards of quality and efficiency to our current product lines. Our goal is to bring you the best packs we can, fully designed and tested! Please contact us if you have any concerns about sizing or fit. We do offer accessible strap sizing for waist belts and handlebar straps, and are happy to let you know if we're able to accommodate other fit requests for your bike or your body!
Unsure if we have what you're looking for? We're here to help!
Want to see us making something we don't already make? Leave us some feedback!
If you are interested in a large custom order, please see our corporate/wholesale page for more information.
- ◄What shipping options do you offer?
- We offer real-time carrier rates for USPS, UPS and DHL Express (international). We'll do our best to help you troubleshoot once your package is in the mail if you run into any issues. Ultimately, we rely on our shippers' policies and procedures to get your order to you, and we aren't responsible for lost packages. Reach out or leave a note for us at checkout if you have any questions or hard deadlines regarding delivery - we're happy to make recommendations on expedited shipping. Make sure to double check your address before and after submitting an order! We aren't able to cover reshipping costs for packages not delivered due to incorrect address entry, though we are happy to correct any mistakes or discrepancies before shipping. We'll contact you for an alternate address if we receive a return on an undeliverable package. 'Ready to ship' items are shipped out within 1-2 business days. 'Made to order' items are shipped out from our facility as noted. Custom turnaround is 7-10 days. The times specified do not include freight time.
- ◄How do you package gear for shipping?
- We use eco-friendly mailers from Ecoenclose to ship most items, with no additional padding or packaging in order to reduce waste. These bags are tough and meant to withstand the elements, whether out traveling with you or through the postal system. These mailers can be reused and recycled anywhere #2 and #4 plastics are accepted!
- ◄Can I pick my bag up at the shop to save on shipping?
Will-call is available at our shop in SE Portland, free of charge - just enter an Oregon based shipping address at checkout, and you'll see the option when you click through to the shipping options. We are located at 1551 SE Poplar Ave, Portland, OR 97214, and are open from 11am - 6pm 7 days a week.
- ◄Does North St. ship internationally?
- We do ship internationally. If your country does not show up as an option for shipping at checkout, or there's a message saying "North St. does not ship to that address" please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that North St. does not guarantee shipping times for international orders, as we cannot guarantee customs procedures / lead times. Likewise we do not cover any customs fees to accept packages. We recommend contacting your local customs/postal office for specific costs and timeframes. The fee we charge covers shipping rates only. Thank you for your understanding and patience in this matter.
- ◄How do I clean my bag?
Is your bag in need of some TLC? Show it some love with these cleaning tips:
- Spot clean the shell or lining with a wet rag and some mild detergent
- For tougher areas, use dish soap - Dawn works well - or a cleanser like Simple Green
- For really tough areas, let that dish soap sit (an hour is probably good), then rinse with water
- We do NOT recommend putting the bag into your washing machine
- the fabrics have coatings which will rub off
- some elements or colors may bleed
- it will void the warranty
- Do NOT put the bag into the dryer EVER. Trust us.
- Treat the exterior shell with a DWR finish periodically. We like Nikwax Tech Spray - just don't use a wash!
- ◄What's my order status?
- Can't wait to get your new bag? We understand. Each bag is made by hand in our factory in SE Portland. We build them to last, so it's well worth the wait! You should have a confirmation email with your receipt in your inbox, and you'll receive another notification once your order is shipped. We don't typically send updates other than that unless we encounter a delay, question, or issue. No news is good news!
If you'd like to check or double check the timeline or status of your order at any time, feel free to contact us for an update. Be sure to provide your order number.
- ◄What is covered by the warranty?
Our gear is covered by our manufacturer's warranty for the practical lifetime of the product. We build bags with durable, functional materials, reinforced seams, and daily use in mind, and we stand behind the quality of our construction, stitching, and materials.
Moving parts wear out and fabrics deteriorate and fade over time. A product showing signs of age (fabric that’s become thin or faded, has developed tears; a zipper that no longer catches; etc) is often the result of natural breakdown - something we take into consideration when assessing your warranty and repair requests.
We are not responsible for and do not cover damage from improper use, natural disasters, accidental damage, or overburdening, either to North St. products or personal items.
To process your order please visit our Repair Claim page.
- ◄What is the repair process like?
Please be prepared to be without your North St. Bag for up to 1 week (including ship time) while we repair your gear. Our typical repair timeline once we receive your bag and process payment is 2 - 3 business days.
Keep in mind that all items accepted for repair must be clean. Please be mindful of the health and safety of our staff and machines—dirt and grime on the fabric can damage our sewing machines and present a hazard to our repair team. Empty your bag and clean it to the best of your ability.
Bags that are unclean may be returned without repair. We do not offer cleaning services, but check out our care section above for tips on keeping your bag in good health.
- ◄What is your return policy?
Unused stock items may be returned for a refund within 30 days of purchase (with receipt).
- We do not accept returns for custom items, clearance items, or items bought at at any of our third party retailers.
Refunds will be issued after we receive the item, for the final price of the bag only, not including shipping charges. We can provide a USPS return label by request - the final shipping amount will be deducted from your refund. We will automatically send the least expensive option available (typically USPS First Class or Priority).
- Returns over $300 will automatically have a 15% restocking fee applied.
- Once we receive your returned item, we'll inspect it to make sure it's unused, then issue a refund, if applicable. A restocking fee may be applied for products showing minor signs of wear. If your refund is denied, we will contact you and we can return the item to you for a small shipping charge.
- ◄I got a bag as a gift. How do I return or exchange it?
Gift Returns: We can only refund to the credit card originally used to make the purchase. Gift purchases can be exchanged or returned by the recipient for store credit.
To process a return, please visit our Return Claim